Monday 19 September 2011

Baby? and Me Yoga

Meet Cat and Melissa. Two amazing women from my prenatal yoga class, who also happen to be kick ass derby girls in the league Jared refs for. AKA: my new friends, and Penelope's soon to be - their spawn - Emily and Gavin, respectively. Emily was born two weeks before Penelope. Gavin, two weeks after. 

I don't know about Cat and Melissa but I thought I'd have all this time to do stuff while I was on maternity leave... (cue laugh track) yeah I know... 

Welcome to motherhood.

Bite me.

While I'm willing to sew, paint, do photography, and write little bits at a time, I refuse to renege on my promise to myself to stay active after baby. Hey, gotta counteract that extra dessert somehow right? Well, all three of us have managed to find an hour (or three if you count that extra dessert - crepes and waffles after class) every Wednesday to get together for for Baby and Me Yoga at Samatva

First yoga class - P feeling very "zen"

Problem is my babe naps around 10am. I know, you're thinking "problem? You have a baby that naps around the same time EVERY DAY?"

Well when you put it that way, no. But it did suck a little that a lot of the postures for the first half of the class involved baby (hence the name of the class). While most mamas were doing postures with their babe, mine was sleeping soundly at the foot of my mat. So my session went a little like this:

Downward facing dog - over my invisible baby...
Standing forward bend - tickling my invisible baby... 
Bridge, lifting my invisible baby over my head... 
Baddha Konasana - placing my invisible baby's head on my feet for the massage portion of class- yup you guessed it... massaging invisible baby's hands, feet and limbs... helping my invisible baby stand, roll and stretch her arms... 

You get the idea. 

But, because I wanted to really learn how to do this stuff with Penelope at home, I really was doing the postures - and acting out the baby parts. I was starting to feel a little "Donnie Darko" (looks nervously around for Frank). We'll just call it the baby version of Drop Dead Fred...

Gil, our instructor (who is amazing) tells us since that babes are chilled out, it's time for mama's solo postures. Most women lay their babies aside, and who wakes up? Penelope of course. So I sit in a lotus position, nurse her a little bit while I wait until it's time for my baby and me to do some postures together. After 45 minutes we FINALLY get to do a couple poses together while she is totally boob drunk...

... and then it's time for corpse pose.

Class over.

**pout**

Here's hoping she's a little more awake (and well behaved) this week or I'm going to have to borrow a kid for class.

Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. Love that pic of you. (finally getting to do some of it together!) Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram