Tuesday 24 July 2012

A one year old's birthday party. Theme: The Exorcist.

Over the past year, some of the people in our lives have really stood up and helped us out. Not just with Penelope but with the adjustment that comes with having a baby. From the friends who walked her so we could sleep (or shag) to the other mamas that reassured me I was justified in my neurosis or the ones who made me truly think about how I wanted to raise my daughter.

From the people who babysat and who cooked for us (and still do) to the grandparents who gave us furniture so she'd have a place to sleep other than a dresser drawer, or so that we'd have dresser drawers or so I'd have a place to nurse comfortably. From the women who help me stay grounded and the ones who pushed me to keep dancing with my daughter to the people who helped me to let go and to laugh at myself, I am so incredibly grateful.

Sunday we celebrated Penelope's first birthday. As much as I wanted to throw a party where we reenacted the birth, we decided that everyone who came should be there for a reason. Not to hear me exclaim that birthing the placenta is too hard in water or yelling at J to make the drumming louder while I pushed. It should be so we could say thank you. In the form of finger foods. And obviously to celebrate the baby made of cuteness - our little Poppet.
I was determined to have a low stress party. We had some hand me down things, I added old school candy and the pennant banner J's friends made for Penelope at her baby shower for decoration. I borrowed a couple left over decorations from a friend's party for her one year old and VOILA, Vintage Toy Party!

It made for fun decorations and encouraged people who insisted on gifts to bring second hand stuff rather than an abundance of factory made plastic that comes with more packaging than I even know how to make sense of.


And much to relief of guests, we nixed the idea of setting up a birthing pool and set up one for the kiddies instead. Plus, outside of the cake (recipe here for those who requested it) and the sugar free, healthy cupcakes for the kiddies and paleo friends, I even kept the lunch low key. Savory shortbread, sandwich rolls, spectacular cheese platters, and veggies with hummus and guacamole. Throw in some watermelon and corn chips and you have a feast... for the fingers! It was awesome. Mostly because I made absolutely none of it. Making food pretty is my specialty, doesn't mean I have to cook it.

Side note: baking is not magical like cooking. It is like science and stupidly stressful. I, being me, had to put extra pressure on myself by choosing to make a Jamie Oliver recipe. And not just any recipe... one that was so good, Martha fucking Stewart posted it on HER website. So, yeah, baking. Stress.Ful. So much that I feel the need to post a close up photo of the cake... seriously, look at that cake. Really... LOOK AT THE CAKE! It was freakin' delicious.
It was a good day. Penelope had a ton of fun being passed around (and held onto for dear life by some) and stuffed her face so full of cupcakes that she promptly threw up all over her crib after everyone had left. That part was disgusting. But hey, it's her party and she'll barf if she wants to. I grabbed her and jumped in the shower, making J spray everything off with a garden hose outside. Well, it only seemed fair since I did take one for the team by simply picking her up out of the replicated Exorcist scene.

See, that's love. When you'll get puke on you so your honey doesn't have to. Right, I was telling you about the party... so it was a success and today Penelope actually turns one. And of course I'm all emotional and don't really know what to make out of the fact that it's been a year. But hey, it has and we're all still alive and even smile occasionally.
 
Now that I'm past the one year mark, will the fog start clearing so my brain will start working again?

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday sweets. Nice pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The party was lovely. And delicious! Glad I could be a part of it :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram